Disco outfits are known for their bright, funky colors and fun accessories. When you go to a disco party, you want to make sure that your outfit is as authentic as possible. You can start by shopping online or in a vintage shop for some fun and classic outfits from the disco era, considering different fabrics and fashion trends as you go. Once you’ve selected your costume, jazz it up with a classic hairstyle, some disco-ready makeup, and some great shoes and accessories. With all the glitz and glam of the disco era, you’ll be sure to find an outfit that works for you!
Selecting Clothing Items
- Try on a jumpsuit for a funky and sleek look. Jumpsuits are a great option for both men and women due to their timeless style and sleek appearance. If you truly want to embody the disco era, opt for a one-piece jumpsuit that reaches your ankles. This garment is great if you plan on dancing a lot—you can even jazz it up with high heels or platform shoes.
- For example, wear a sleeveless coral jumpsuit along with a pair of chunky, high-heeled sandals. For a more masculine approach, opt for a two-toned jumpsuit instead, like purple and black or tan and brown.
- Unlike other fashion staples of the disco era, jumpsuits are still worn today!
2.Pay homage to traditional 70s fashion by wearing a disco suit. Get into the spirit of the times by going to the party in a three-piece disco suit. For an especially bold look, opt for an all-white ensemble. If you’d prefer to add a splash of color, try pairing a dark vest and slacks with a brightly colored dress shirt.
- For instance, wear a white vest, slacks, and jacket with a blue and white plaid dress shirt underneath. Add some flair to the outfit with a pair of sunglasses!
3.Pair some shiny pants with a clingy top to look extra chic. If you don’t want to commit to the jumpsuit but still want to wear something fun and relaxed, try on some shiny, sleek pants with a form-fitting top! If you aren’t a fan of long sleeves, wear a sleeveless top with brightly colored shiny pants instead.
- For instance, try wearing a pair of shiny blue pants with a teal tube top or sleeveless shirt. For a bold long-sleeve option, try a black shirt paired with some bright red pants.
4.Stay relaxed and comfortable in some bell bottoms. Dress down for a disco party by pairing a funky top with some classic bell bottoms. Don’t feel limited to just wearing blue bell bottoms; instead, try creating a theme with your outfit.
- For example, try pairing a dark, sleeveless top with some pink paisley patterned bell bottoms! For a more masculine look, try wearing a light yellow dress shirt with some gold pants.
- To really embody the 70s look, try choosing high-waisted pants.
- The good thing about wearing bell bottoms to a disco party is that they are coming back to the trends, so you’ll have new pants to mix and match with your usual outfits.
5.Stand out in a mini-skirt or midi-skirt. Pick a form-fitting mini-skirt if you’d rather wear something short and form-fitting. If you’d prefer a skirt that goes down to your thighs, opt for a midi-skirt instead. Make your outfit extra funky by choosing a skirt with a fun pattern, like leopard print.
- If you don’t want your legs to get cold, try pairing your skirt with a pair of opaque tights.
6.Put on a wrap dress if you’d like something more convenient. If you want a last-minute fix for your disco party, try on a wrap dress. Choose this option if you plan on dancing a lot, or if you’d prefer to wear something fancier than a jumpsuit. If you don’t like sleeveless dresses and shirts, then this might not be the outfit for you. Keep in mind that, unlike other dancing dresses, the wrap dress usually goes down to your knees.
- Wrap dresses are unique since they’re often made of 2 different fabric colors. They also come with a cord that you can use to tighten the garment around your waist.
- For example, try pairing a burgundy and light pink wrap dress with a pair of wine-colored high heels.
7.Choose a dancing dress if you’d prefer a traditional option. Unlike spandex and leotards, dancing dresses allow you to look feminine without appearing too gaudy. Look especially striking at the party by choosing a dress in a bright, solid color.
- For instance, try wearing a bright red dancing dress with white, high-heeled sandals.
- If you’d prefer a dress with long sleeves, try wearing a Qiana dress, which features long sleeves along with a thigh-high skirt. Opt for a plain look by choosing a dress in a solid color. If you’d like to spice things up, look for a garment that comes in a fun pattern.
8.Wear a white shirt and blue jeans for a quick and easy outfit. Opt for a more timeless look by wearing a traditional shirt and jeans, or something similar. If you want to add a splash of color to your look, go for a multicolored shirt along with a pair of flared jeans. Add some extra pizazz to your ensemble with a chunky belt as well!
- For example, try wearing a brown and yellow patterned shirt with some blue jeans, accompanied by a chunky brown belt.
9.Look extra suave by wearing a disco shirt. Bridge the gap between fancy and casual by wearing a fun, flowing disco shirt. While still paired with nice pants, you can look a lot more relaxed and laid back by wearing a disco shirt. If you want to dress up a little more, wear some neutral-toned slacks with your shirt. If you’d rather dress down, opt for some blue jeans instead.
- For instance, pair a black and grey patterned disco shirt with a pair of grey slacks and some nice loafers.
Choosing Items with a Disco Vibe
- Dress up in bright, flashy colors to stand out at the party. Get in the spirit of the disco era by wearing a variety of fun, bright colors. Don’t worry about your colors clashing or looking too out-of-place—at the disco, all colors are welcome! If you’re feeling especially bold, opt for metallic or sequined clothes to make your outfit sparkle.
- For instance, try pairing a bright orange, form-fitting crop top with a pair of dark blue bell-bottoms.
2.Pick clothing made of Spandex to wear something fun and flexible. Go to a disco party in maximum comfort by incorporating spandex into your outfit. You can find Spandex in a variety of different clothing items, including jumpsuits, jeans, and tops. Mix and match until you find the perfect outfit!
- Viscose rayon is also a great option if you like to wear a lot of patterned fabric.
3.Choose accessories with classic 70s symbols to embody the disco spirit. Pay homage to the disco era with a variety of classic symbols on the accessories, such as a peace sign or disco ball. Try to find shirts or other articles of clothing printed with these popular symbols. If you’re feeling especially ambitious, order a cheap disco ball online and bring it to the party!
- If you want to take a more musical theme with your costume, wear some vintage tees of famous 70s bands like ABBA or the Village People.
4.Select fringed fabrics for an extra funky vibe. Look for clothing and accessories that have an element of fringe, or dangly decorations. You can find many vests and boots with fringe, in addition to pants as well as other items of clothing. While not as stereotypical as a jumpsuit or pair of hot pants, fringed clothing and accessories are a great way to add an extra layer of cultural depth to your disco attire.
5.Try on clothing with bright and fun patterns. Take advantage of the disco era’s bright and flamboyant fashion style by opting for patterned clothing and accessories. If you’re looking for a more feminine style, choose a shirt or dress with a paisley pattern. If you’d prefer a more retro look, opt for a Hawaiian shirt instead.
- Animal and floral prints are also great pattern options for a disco costume.
Doing Your Makeup and Hair
- Apply heavy layers of pastel makeup for a classic disco look. Use a small makeup brush to pack a lot of pastel eyeshadow on your eyelids. To really exaggerate the look, brush some product above the crease, stopping right beneath the brow bone. If you want to go for a bolder look, try an eyeshadow in robin’s egg blue or lime green.
- If you’d like to get some makeup inspiration, look online for images of fashion magazine covers and makeup advertisements from the 1970s.
2.Add some face gems to make your face shine. Stand out from the crowd by decorating your face with rhinestones. Use a skin-safe adhesive to glue the gems into a fun shape or pattern, and let the disco lights do the rest! If you want to look especially bold, try using larger and chunkier rhinestones.
- Silver or diamond rhinestones are a great color that go with almost any outfit.
3.Wear thick eyeliner to make your eyes pop. Imitate some musical greats of the disco era by applying heavy amounts of dark eyeliner around your eyes. Don’t worry about looking out-of-place at the party, since disco is all about bold and exciting looks! If you don’t want to apply too much product, start by giving yourself dramatic wings around the corners of your eyes.
4.Feather your hair into layers for a chic, feminine look. Get ready for a disco party by layering your hair in large wispy sections. If you don’t want to mess up your natural hair, search online for wigs that have feather layers. If you’re styling your natural hair, keep in mind that feathered layers long best on people with shoulder-length hair.
- For inspiration, look up pictures of Farrah Fawcett online.
5.Part your hair down the center for a traditional 70s hairstyle. Save some time by going for a simpler but classic 70s look. If you’d prefer not to spend a lot of time on fancy updos, use the narrow end of a comb to part your bangs down the middle of your head. Make sure that you have equal amounts of hair on each side of your face.
- Keep in mind that this style is easiest for people without short bangs. If you have shorter bangs, keep them front and center.
6.Go for a mullet or surfer hairstyle to look like a rockstar. Embody the cool vibe of the disco era by making your hair loose and free. If you don’t feel like going to a lot of trouble, tousle your neck or shoulder-length hair so it looks messy, or like you’ve just come from the beach. If you’d rather give off a more classic look, opt for a mullet instead.
- If you don’t want to style your hair in a mullet, try purchasing a mullet wig online instead.
Finding Funky Accessories and Shoes
- Slip on a pair of sunglasses for a retro vibe. Make your outfit look even funkier by accessorizing with sunglasses! While any sunglasses will do, opt for sunglasses with large, round lenses. Additionally, look for glasses with bulky frames and colored lenses to add some flair to your costume!
- For a unique look, choose glasses with ovular or circular frames!
2.Include a headband in your outfit to add a burst of color. Round out your disco costume with a fun head accessory, like a brightly colored or patterned headband. Choose a headband that fits the circumference of your head, or that ties easily around your scalp. If you want to be extra fancy, look for a headband with fake jewels or other fun add-ons!
- If you’d prefer a more natural look, consider wearing a leather band, some macrame decorations, or hair flowers instead!
3.Accompany your fun outfit with a stylish handbag. Switch out your traditional purse or clutch for a fun, shiny handbag! A shiny, disco-era handbag can really tie your outfit together, whether you‘re using it as an accessory or as a means to carry your wallet. Pick something fun and funky, and don’t be afraid to think outside of the box!
- If you aren’t a fan of handbags, opt for a coin purse, wrist canteen, or binocular case instead.
4.Adorn your neck with a colorful scarf or feather boa. Add a pop of texture or color to your disco ensemble with a fashionable scarf accessory. If you’re going for a more traditional outfit, try for a solid-colored or printed scarf. If you’d prefer to make your ensemble extra funky, opt for a brightly-colored feather boa instead!
- If scarves and boas aren’t your style, try grabbing a sequin sash or fan!
5.Highlight your ensemble with large, chunky jewelry. Finish off your outfit with some especially flashy earrings and bracelets. If you really want to embody the disco spirit, try on some armbands or wrist cuffs! If you’re looking to round out your costume, then whisper chains and chokers are also an option.
- If you’d like to look extra fancy, finish off your outfit with a tiara or crown!
6.Complete your look with a solid or bejeweled belt. Balance out your costume around the waist by wearing a neutral-toned or multi-colored belt. If you’re going for a themed outfit, a belt can really make your ensemble pop! For a simpler look, opt for a braided leather or beaded accessory. If you’d prefer to stand out, choose a shiny vinyl, velvet, or rhinestone-encrusted belt.
- If you’re wearing a full body outfit, like a jumpsuit, consider tying off the garment with a fabric sash.
7.Add some height to your outfit with platform shoes. Be the tallest person in the room by slipping on some platform shoes. If you can’t decide what kind of style to go for, platform shoes are great starting point. If you want to try a more simple look, opt for chunky platform loafers that only rise 1 to 2 inches (2.5 to 5.1 cm). If you want to go for a bolder style, try on some platform boots or sandals that rise several inches or centimeters.
- For a classic disco look, pair a jumpsuit with a set of platform loafers or boots.
- Alternatively, pair a sleeveless white dancing dress with a pair of high-heeled sandals. If you’d like to add more color to the outfit, try a more brightly colored dress with more colorful shoes.
8.Pick out some golf shoes for a classy look. Complete a more formal disco outfit with some monochromatic golf shoes. Unlike many other accessories and outfit choices of the disco era, golf shoes help you look ready for the party without seeming gaudy. For an especially formal look, try pairing golf shoes with slacks or a nice suit.
- For instance, wear a pair of black and white golf shoes with a black or white disco suit.
9.Wear some loafers to give off a more traditional vibe. Being at a disco party doesn’t mean that your whole outfit has to be funky and over-the-top! If you want to put more emphasis on your shirt and pants, slip on some loafers to round out your outfit. You can also try on some loafers with a jumpsuit or disco suit if you’d like to make a statement.
- For example, try wearing an all white disco suit with a pair of white loafers. You can also pair some neutral-toned loafers with a funky disco shirt and a dark pair of slacks or bell-bottoms.
10.Try on some tall boots to show off your legs. You don’t have to choose an outfit with a long skirt or pant legs—instead, pair some tall boots with a miniskirt, or a tight set of hot pants. Feel free to jazz up your outfit with some color, too! If you’re wearing a brightly colored top, feel free to wear a pair of colorful, knee-length boots to match.
- For instance, pair some navy blue and teal boots with a teal top, along with some matching hot pants
- Fringed boots are also a fun fashion trend you can take advantage of for disco parties!
- Despite the name, hot pants look more like shorts, and only reach the top of your thighs.